rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a silver serving tray .800 with a coin inlay around

Customer Question

I have a silver serving tray .800 with a coin inlay around it - one of the coins reads "ETMONTIIOHANGEORGD:G:DUXSAXIUL:CLIU" ANOTHER COIN READS"EPS:SALISBVRG:1685S:RVDBERTVS"there are many different coins and sizes with this type of wording. What is this tray worth? or what is the history of this? does it only have melt down value?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 10 months ago.

This is an Austrian .800 purity (sterling is .925 purity) silver tray with different Austrian coins in the rim. The tray would be worth its weight in 800 silver, since the coins themselves do not have numismatic value now that they have been altered (these coins are worth about $20 each as coins anyway). It is a decorative piece made in the early 1900's based on the styling and repousse scrolling on the rim. This tray has a value of $300 to $400.00 value as an antique. The melt would be based on weight, but looks to be about $175 in melt value based on today's closing price for silver.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer, thank you!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
THANK YOU SO MUCH - I HAVE TRIED TO FIND OUT FOR SEVERAL MONTHS ABOUT THIS TRAY WITH NO RESULTS!

You are welcome.

Please do click the stars to accept my answer, thank you!

Expert:  rarewares replied 9 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.