Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA
54025905

I own a painting by Iraqi artist Farage Abbo Al Numan who

Customer Question

I own a painting by Iraqi artist Farage Abbo Al Numan who was born in Mosul Iraq in 1921. The painting is an Egyptian Girl and he painted it in 1946. My parents met him in Baghdad in 1956 and he became good friends with them. My father bought the painting from him for mother's Christmas present. Recently one of his paintings sold in Dubai for $10,000.00. The painting is a 16 x 20 oil painting. I also have a picture of my mother with the artist. I am eager to find out the appraised value of this work. Thank you Janice Liggett
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 1 year ago.

Good day my name is*****

I am a Certified IRS Qualified Fine and Decorative Art Appraiser. It will be a pleasure to put my expertise, libraries, resources, and experience in the field to work for you.

It would help if I can see images of the painting. One of the whole work front and back plus one of the signature.

Here are instructions on how to send photos to this site. Go to: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-

Or you can email them to***@******.*** attention Timothy in antiques.

Janice, here is a brief analysis based on who the artist is and his sales history.

Faraj Abbo Al Numan (Iraqi, 1921 - 1984) So far only one of his paintings have come to auction. The untitled painting you found. The actual hammer price was $8,000.00. The $10,000.00 includes the 20% buyers premium that Christie's charges the buyer. They also charge the seller and average of 20%. So the seller realized $6,000.00 for the painting. As an appraiser I base my values on actual sales records, since I have only one record at this point. The best estimate is $6,000.00 to $8,000.00. If the Egyptian girl is attractive the value range is possibly higher.

If you need any further assistance please ask.

Cheers Timothy