rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.

I received from my Great Grandfather a hand carved wooden

Customer Question

I received from my Great Grandfather a hand carved wooden cane with a fist handle a rope pattern down the cane and a brass plate about 8 inches down the handle that says
Luby Prison __vil No 6 Salisbury N_
I would really appreciate any information you could give me on this. Thank you.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 7 months ago.

In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to see images and clear, in-focus close-ups of the mark

If you had already attached images to your initial posting, they are not showing for me here on my end.

Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Please give me any info you can provide on this cane without pictures. I wouldn't have signed up for this appraisal if I had been advised in advance that no feedback would be given without pictures.
Expert:  Nora replied 7 months ago.

Hi There,

In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to see images.

I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra. There is not a guarantee that you will receive a response.

I will not be able to respond back after opting-out

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

Expert:  rarewares replied 7 months ago.

This is a Civil War era (mid to late 1860's) prison art (also called tramp art or outsider art) carved wooden cane belonging to prisoner Luby of the Salisbury Prison in Rowan County, North Carolina. This type of prisoner art/tramp art in the form of a walking cane would bring $650 to $750 at auction.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

If you'd like to have me assess anything else, start a new question and put 'for rarewares' so that you could get me again.

Please do click the stars to accept my answer.