rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.

One small alabaster Egyptian bust WW1 inherited from my

Customer Question

One small alabaster Egyptian bust WW1 inherited from my grandfather, along with several other antiquities. Size 100mm x 100, stands 100mm high. Small clay pot thing ( looks a little Mini genie lamp) with engraving etc Hyaglyphics (spelling?) Have photos, but am very nervous, as in trust issue. Am I wasting my time. Not sure who to contact in Australia. Have been in touch with overseas dealer, but its a trust issue. Please advise.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 7 months ago.

You can email your images to***@******.*** and write “For Rarewares/Antiques” in the subject line of the email.

Photos sent by email do not arrive to me directly nor instantly, they get forwarded to me by administrators, so thank you in advance for some patience when sending this way.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have now emailed a couple of photos to you. Where are you located. Australia?

I do not have the photos in my email yet. I am so sorry for any delay. Please be sure I will respond as soon as I get the pictures.

The photos were in my email this morning. There are duplicate photos of two items, a carved head and an oil lamp, so I will work on those for you.

The lamp is a Romano-Egyptian terracotta "frog" oil lamp from circa 30AD. I have enclosed a photo of how one was used to provide light with wick and oil. This lamp has a value of $250.00usd.

The other is a carved alabaster head, a 20th century replica of a carved head that was found on a canopic jar. These were made in the 1920's and sold to the tourist trade in Egypt after the discovery of King Tut's tomb in 1922. This alabaster head has a value of $600usd.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read my answer, thank you!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am disappointed in your reply. As you have only seen the photo. They are authentic, not tourist generated as you have indicated. When I was a child a gentleman from a museum in the UK, (as these were the circles my folks moved in), indicated authenticity of same. There are several other pieces. The photos we sent you are just two of many acquired by my grandfather during WW1. Pre-1920s. He served in the Australian army as a medical officer. ( Doctor). Please re-visit your first appraisal.

I will opt-out and allow another expert to step in and answer at no extra cost to you.