Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have 2 very large Reynolds paintings I'd like to sell.

Customer Question

I have 2 very large Lee Reynolds paintings I'd like to sell. What's involved in determining market value.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please send me the size of each of your two paintings, not including the frames.

Are they both oils? Or Watercolors? Etc?

Best,

Doris

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The one I'm most interested is selling is 48"h x 60"w - It's an oil painting and it's numbered - 158822

Thank you for the information.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

I really do not have good news. Please read carefully.

Lee Reynolds Burr born 1936 -
"Born in Los Angeles, Lee Reynolds Burr has a BFA from the University of Southern California. He has served as Chairman, Board of Directors of East Park Gallery in Los Angeles.

He was the director for Vanguard Studios in Beverly Hills, California in the late sixties and many thousands of artworks bear the signature "Lee Reynolds" or "Lee Burr". Such artworks were done by others, and following is an attempt by the artist to clear up the confusion existing about these works:

LEE REYNOLDS
I as an Artist have done no more than 200 "Original" Paintings and Sculptures in my life.

Lee Reynolds was simply a trade name. It was attached to numerous artworks and designs at Vanguard Studios. Vanguard Studios was the largest distributor of decorative art in the world at the time. I guided product development. I was personally responsible for many designs, prototypes, and compositions; however, no "LEE REYNOLDS" signed paintings were actually done by my hand.

In fact, paintings sold internationally, bearing the signature "LEE REYNOLDS" were in every case painted by Staff Artists in the employ of Vanguard Studios. Vanguard Studios sold ONLY decorative art, NOT collector art.

LEE BURR
No paintings signed "Lee Burr" done at Vanguard Studio's, ever touched my hand. Only edition Graphics and signed posters bear the signature "LEE BURR" and that signature is authentic.

Paintings signed "Lee Burr" and done at East Park Gallery only rarely touched my hand. Almost all were produced by my then assistant Rudolpho Carlos, and were responses to commissions from art dealers. They were done and offered in any number of sizes and colorations. They were interpretations deriving from an example work conceived and executed entirely by my hand.

A few of these examples and only a few actually done by my hand at East Park Gallery were ever released; simply because paint was splattered on them over time by my assistant as he produced derivative works. We called such works "series originals". These artworks were then priced from about $1,000 to $2,000 US.

Important: To identify authorship, and eliminate confusion I now sign all my personal works- those done entirely by my hand- with my full name- Lee Reynolds Burr. I have recently added a thumb print to such original works. I hope this eliminates some of the confusion.

LEE REYNOLDS BURR 5/28/2008"

Statement from Lee Burr:

"Lee Reynolds was simply a trade name. It was attached to numerous artworks and designs at Vanguard Studios. Vanguard Studios was the largest distributor of decorative art in the world at the time. I guided product development. I was personally responsible for many designs, prototypes, and compositions; however, no "LEE REYNOLDS" signed paintings were actually done by my hand.

In fact, paintings sold internationally, bearing the signature "LEE REYNOLDS" were in every case painted by Staff Artists in the employ of Vanguard Studios. Vanguard Studios sold ONLY decorative art, NOT collector art."

Using an average value of the Vanguard paintings signed "Lee Reynolds,

I was able to determine an auction value of $200 for your decorator piece.

Of course, retail art gallery value (If the gallery will carry Vanguard works) would be higher, perhaps even $1000.

Those values depend on location and the taste of the gallery owner.

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Thank you.

In rereading your question, I noted that you are looking to sell your painting.

If you wish to sell, these are my suggestions -

The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to retail try the following -
https://www.artbrokerage.com/help/selling-art

Plus try ads on sites such as

http://www.rubylane.com/art

http://www.askart.com/Ads_Individual.aspx

https://www.artnet.com/auctions/all-artworks/?utm_campaign=bannerad&utm_source=080514auctionsevergreen&utm_medium=link

http://www.artvalue.com

http://www.artprice.com/marketplace/sell-an-artwork

Some like Etsy.com where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small - 20 cents to list an item plus 3.5% of the final price.

Or list with no fees whatsoever:

http://forum.findartinfo.com/default.asp?CAT_ID=2

Please consider giving me a POSITIVE RATING. It is the only way I AM CREDITED BY JUST ANSWER for my knowledge, time and work.
You should see five stars. This is where you rate me.

Kind regards,

Doris

Hi there!
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?
Let me know,
Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your time. You gave me far more helpful information than I expected. 5 Stars!

You should see five stars. That is where you rate me.

Thank you.