rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a tea cup and saucer that belonged to my 3rd great

Customer Question

I have a tea cup and saucer that belonged to my 3rd great grandmother. Slip of paper accompanying it has the date of 1779. It is hand painted with a leafy green and gold design and on the bottom of the teacup it says "Think of me" painted in gold. On the bottom of both the saucer and the teacup is a mark that consists of two crossed lines with a capital H at the top center of the crossed lines.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 8 months ago.

This is a German Remembrance cup and saucer made by Franziska Hirsch of Dresden, Germany (Schoenau Brothers use the same mark at the same time, both would have the same value ) from the years between 1890 to 1930 when this mark was used. This type of cup and saucer was popular in the early 1900's. The slip of paper with 1779 has no connection with this cup and saucer. The cup and saucer have a value of $25.00.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I checked the Dresden mark online and it is not similar. My great grandmother had it in her possession and noted that it belonged to her great grandmother (my 3rd great grandmother.) It was in a box of hers with other possessions that have been verified to that date and was labeled with my 3rd great grandmothers name and 1779 date. Thank you for your accessment but I'm still sticking with the fact that it has been stored with other items of this date.