Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I'm going to start over, as I accidentally logged out of

Customer Question

Hi - I'm going to start over, as I accidentally logged out of your site! I inherited a Queen Anne dining set and an Empire sofa about 10 years ago. I believe they're late 19th century/early 20th, but not sure. I'd like your opinion on dating them and obtaining an appraisal of their worth.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 10 months ago.

I will be happy to help with your assessment, however I only handle one item or matched set per question here. Since the sofa image is attached, would you like to continue with that on this question thread? Also, can you add some images of the surface detail on the wood as well.

~Nora

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Nora, and no, let's discuss the dining room set instead. I'm attaching pictures of the buffet, a side chair, arm chair and table. Thanks!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello? I replied over 15 minutes ago. Please advise if you received my message and if I should stay on this site or await an email. Thank you.
Expert:  Nora replied 10 months ago.

My apologies, I had to step away from my computer for a short bit. Thank you for the images, please allow me to look them over for you.

~Nora

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok sounds good - thanks!
Expert:  Nora replied 10 months ago.

Certainly.

Expert:  Nora replied 10 months ago.

The dining set is a marriage or pieces and not a matched set that were original to each other. Please note that I only assess one item or matched set per question here. The sofa, buffet, table, and pair of chairs (that are a matched set) are 4 different assessments. Please choose one and let me know.

~Nora

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, thanks, ***** ***** in touch.
Expert:  Nora replied 10 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Nora – That’s interesting the dining set isn’t a matched set. I thought it was because all the pieces have an inlaid shell theme and seem to be made of the same wood (mahogany?), but at closer inspection I see the shell designs are different. Plus we can’t pull the chairs up to the table and it’s uncomfortable to eat, so this makes sense since they don’t fit the table. That said, what can you tell me about the chairs? I have two arm chairs and six side chairs. I’ve attached a few more pictures of the surface detail on the wood per your request above. The side chairs are the same as the arm chairs, but no arms (obviously!) Thank you so much!
Expert:  Nora replied 10 months ago.

I can certainly help with the chair set. In order for me to properly assess them, I will also need to see a full image of the back of a chair and a clear, well lit image of the underside of a chair.

~Nora

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Nora - my apologies for delay in responding, recently had ankle surgery so am on crutches, ugh. I'll get those pictures to you just as soon as possible, probably this afternoon. Thanks again for your help!
Expert:  Nora replied 10 months ago.

Get Well Soon and take it easy. You can send it over at your convenience, there is not a time limit here.

~Nora

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Great and thanks much! :-)
Expert:  Nora replied 10 months ago.

Certainly

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Nora - I'm finally back with the photos you requested of the chair back and bottom, including bottom of the chair pad, just in case. I think the only other thing I can tell you about the set is they were probably made in Massachusetts or somewhere in New England, as that's where my father grew up and they belonged to his parents. Thanks again!
Expert:  Nora replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for the additional images. My apologies for the delay, this was lost in a shuffle for some days.

Please allow me some time to look everything over for you.

~Nora

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, thanks Nora, I'll wait to hear from you.Sarah
Expert:  Nora replied 9 months ago.

Certainly

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Nora - I guess somehow our thread got "turned off" - I wasn't able to write a reply to you so I had to contact customer support. At any rate, could you please update me re the status of your research on the chairs?Much appreciated,
Sarah
Expert:  Nora replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for re-opening the thread.

~Nora

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
You're welcome! Do you have any information for me? Thanks!
Expert:  Nora replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your patience. The mid 19th century American Empire sofa is $4000 - $6000.

The Buffet dates to the early 20th century and it can sell for $400 - $600.

The arm chairs and side chairs are also early 20th century. The arm chairs are $200 each and the side chairs are $75 - $100 each.

The round table, generally used as a center entry way table in a grand home can sell for $500 - $700.

~Nora

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Nora - thanks much for this excellent info! Very pleased! I'm quite interested in selling some of these items and wondered if you can offer any advice as to how to get started and who I should contact?Greatly appreciated!
Sarah