Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017

I have what I believe to be an original painting signed with

Customer Question

I have what I believe to be an original painting signed Martinez with a line stroke through the "z" of his/her name. The painting is an oil on canvas and measures 40" (H) x 20" (W). It is a painting of a downtown villa with cobblestone streets and several people walking about. I did some research on my own and the Martinez signature is very similar to the signature of Eddie Martinez, but my painting doesn't resemble any of his work that I found on the internet. Would be happy to send pictures!
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 7 months ago.

In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to know the size and see images of the front, back (do not remove from frame) and a clear, in-focus close-up of the signature.

If you had already attached images to your initial posting, they are not showing for me here on my end.

Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Per your request, here are the pictures. The painting is 40" tall and 20" wide. Thank you!!
Expert:  Nora replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for the images. The Eddie Martinez you refer to - is it the one in this link:

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I was able to view the actual signature on this link:
Expert:  Nora replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for confirming. Although the signatures are somewhat similar, your painting was made before Eddie Martinez was born or about when he was born in 1977.

You have a vintage original painting that dates to the 3rd quarter of the 20th century, 1950’s - 1970’s.

It is by what is known as an unlisted artist, meaning one that does not sell at auction for fine art collector and investor purposes, but a painting that is more intended for decorative framed original wall art for the home, hotel or lobby setting. Oftentimes, the artist’s name that is on the painting is fictitious and they painted in factory settings in Mexico and China. They were sold in decorator shops, furniture show room stores and department store furniture sections.

This particular large size is referred to as a ‘sofa’ or ‘couch’ painting, as it would be a elegant wall statement above a new sofa.

Your vintage framed oil painting would sell for $150 - $350 on today’s market. They do get offered for higher on online auction sites, but the realistic sales prices are lower than asking price. The suggested insurance, or replacement value is $425.

Expert:  Nora replied 7 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.