Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017

Fisherwoman with Net" English School (19th century) Hand

Customer Question

Fisherwoman with Net"
English School (19th century)
Hand carved and tinted abalone Shell (Bas Relief)
Excellent Condition
circa 1860's
A finely carved and rare piece of Bas Relief sculpture
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 7 months ago.

In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to see images.

If you had already attached images to your initial posting, they are not showing for me here on my end.

Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Please give me an email address and I will scan through photos to you.
Expert:  Nora replied 7 months ago.

You can try emailing your images to *****@******.*** and write “For Nora/Antiques” in the subject line of the email.

Photos sent by email do not arrive to me directly nor instantly, they get forwarded to me by admin.

Expert:  Nora replied 7 months ago.

I received the image. May I know what information you are seeking on this piece?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Any info you can give me as to it's provenance. Also, an approx. fair market value for insurance purposes.
My Uncle was stationed on the west coast during WWII and bought this piece. That is the only info I have.
Expert:  Nora replied 7 months ago.

Provenance is technically the history of prior ownership, to which the provenance in this case, as far back as you know was that it was purchased by your family member during WWII.

It is a 19th century carving on abalone shell and would have been done by a folk artist along a coastal area. The image is based on English prints and paintings from that era.

I see there is a rather ambitious value assigned to this on the scan you sent.

Here are links to comparable carved abalone shells from same era and their actual past auction sale prices:

The fair market value of your antique mounted abalone shell carving would be $100 - $150. The suggested insurance or replacement value is $250.

Expert:  Nora replied 7 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.