Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have an opportunity to buy "Mr. Miner and Son" by Orlando

Customer Question

I have an opportunity to buy "Mr. Miner and Son" by Orlando Hand Bears. I do not know if it is a print or what. It is framed in a primitive type frame. This is at a local auction here in Bowling Green Ky. It does say it is part of the Peter Tillou Collection. Do you have any idea what it may be worth, if it's a print? I feel sure it is not on canvas. Thanks
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is approx 23x27
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Need answer within 3 hours please.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Need answer within 1 hour please.
Expert:  Diana F. replied 8 months ago.

Hi. Without seeing a photo, I can't say for sure whether it's a print or not. Judging by the fact that it turns up in a search, it's most likely a print. The value of the print would be based on a number of factors---- age, the company who published, etc.

.

Do you know any of those details?

~Diana

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It says "OB8245" "Mr. Miner and Son". Orlando Hand Bears American Circa 1838 Conneticut The Peter Tillou Collection
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is print under glass, large size 23x27
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This is a local online auction. I know the seller, he started it at $5 and it's only gotten to $16 now. Could it be a poster under glass, since it is so large?
Expert:  Diana F. replied 8 months ago.

Well, the Peter Tillou Collection was just that...a private art collectors collection. His collection was auctioned off in the 1980s and he had the original painting.

.

It could be a old print or poster under glass. If it's going that cheap as an opening bid, it's most likely a mass produced print that could maybe be sold for about $25 to $50 framed. Even a vintage or antique lithographic print would be worth about $150 to $200. Give the size and low price, I would say it's a more modern poster reproduction of it.

~Diana

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I was thinking it might be a poster also. It doesn't have a "vintage" looking frame around it, just a hand-made primitive looking one. I appreciate your info, I think I will pass on the auction, it prob. is a poster that was massed produced. I don't know how it ever got from CT to KY, though
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Since I know the seller, he prob. also knew it was not worth much, even though he got it from a local estate sale.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I guess we can end the conversation now? I have decided not to buy the poster/print.
Expert:  Diana F. replied 8 months ago.

You're welcome. If you ever run into art like that again.. keep a magnifying glass with you. Sometimes you can narrow down the age of print by looking at it up close. Mass produced pieces tend to look pixelated. Old prints were often hand pulled, so the ink is applied more in a solid color.

.

Another tip is if it starts really cheap, it may not be an expensive piece.

.

Hopefully you find something else. =) Have a good night

~Diana

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Diana F. replied 8 months ago.

You're a welcome.