rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a large marble statue of a girl swinging on a swing

Customer Question

Good morning. I have a large white marble statue of a girl swinging on a swing in a tree, which I am attempting to find a value for. There is a signature at the bottom, "G Berrettari". There is another letter before the G, but I can't make it out completely. The statue is approx. 4 feet tall, and weighs a ton! My mother purchased it from an antique dealer in New Orleans in the 50's and it's been in my family ever since. The time has come to liquidate some of the antiques, and I'm curious where I should start with this piece on pricing.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for this photo. Please also send one picture of the signature on the bottom or of any other marks on the bottom or back of the sculpture. Use the Add Files feature to add more pictures. Thank you!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Here are a couple more pictures

This is a 19th century Italian carved marble sculpture, carved of Carrara marble circa 1880. The signature reads P. G. Berrettar, a name not found as a listed artist, but the skill speaks for itself. Many Italian sculptors were not known as listed artists. This sculpture has a current value of $12,000 to $14,000 retail.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.

Expert:  rarewares replied 8 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.