rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

Can you tell me the make and approximate date of this

Customer Question

Can you tell me the make and approximate date of this platter? The mark on the back is faded but looks like a tail of a serpent or scorpion with a arch of lettering over it - too faded to read.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 9 months ago.

There is one picture of the platter here, but I also need to see the mark. Use the Add Files feature to add that.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Its hard to see but......

Very good, I know it.

This is the mark of the Oliver China Company of Sebring, Ohio. This is a flow blue fish platter made from 1899-1908 based on this mark on the back. This would have been a whole matching set with platter, 12 serving plates and one sauce dish.

This platter has a value of $50 to $60 retial.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
WOW...theres one listed on Ebay for 0ver $1,700......

Sorry, if there is an Oliver China fish platter on Ebay for 1700.00, that is completely unrealistic.

Now, if it is a Limoges, France fish service complete set, that is a correct price. Two completely different things.

Expert:  rarewares replied 8 months ago.

Hi there!
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?