Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner, Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have purchased a 3 piece armoire that was indicated by the

Customer Question

I have purchased a 3 piece armoire that was indicated by the seller to be an antique, it was sold at a very reasonable price so I wasn't concerned with the authenticity of its age or value to make the purchase, but now I am doing some research to try to establish the age and worth of this piece. There are marks on the piece stamped into the top of the drawer is RH&J Simpson Makers and on the bottom of the drawer is writing that indicates this name and No 8 as wells as a date of 1893 and 1894, this is written in pencil so I know this does not guarantee anything about the piece. Please see the photos provided and looking forward to your input.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please tell me the dimensions of your armoire.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
91-1/2""H x 46"W x 19-3/4"D

Thank you for the information.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I should be back within 40 minutes.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

RH & J Simpson produced furniture in 19thC Lancaster, UK.

Your armoire, from its style, does appear to have been made ca 1880-1900.

My research indicates that your large three section armoire has a retail antiques value of about $2900-3100 assuming good condition.

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This infon was very helpful. Thanks so much.
Cheers

Please consider giving me a POSITIVE RATING. It is the only way I AM CREDITED BY JUST ANSWER for my knowledge, time and work.
You should see five stars. This is where you rate me.

Hi there!
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?
Let me know,
Kind regards,
Doris