Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I have a spoon can you tell me what are the marking are

Customer Question

Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 9 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your spoon.

Thanks for the photo. Could you attach a sharp close-up of the mark and I'll read it for you.

Also, how long is the spoon?

Many thanks,
Robert

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Here is another picture.

Thanks for the extra photo, that helps a lot.

Your teaspoon is an example of the typical bamboo-handled flatware made in Bangkok, Thailand in the 1960s and 1970s and brought home by the tens of thousands by Vietnam vets at the time.

It's probably nickel-brass (or possibly gold plated nickel-brass) which is common in Thai flatware, but it's not sterling or solid silver or solid gold. Your local jeweler would test it for you in about two minutes, but I think you'll find it's nickel-brass.

The mark is a flatware manufacturer's mark, not a hallmark, but which maker it refers to it's going to be almost impossible to say as there's no known published register of late twentieth century Thai flatware manufacturers.

It doesn't have much value, I'm afraid, just a $3 to $5 at the most if you saw it for sale in an antique store as there were and still are so many of these bamboo handled sets being produced, not only in Thailand but also in China, Korea and Japan with brands such as "Supreme Cutlery", "Stanley Roberts" and "Oxford Hall" to name but some.

I do hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert