Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

Can you help identify an antique hand painted tankard. It is

Customer Question

Can you help identify an antique hand painted wood tankard. It is lovely and has a top with what appears to be a carved figure hound eating some meat, and a handle rounded into what seems a lion or cat. Bottom mark is a double circle with a star or snowflake like symbol, and 1790 JOH. I think the 1790 may be a design number. I have not seen anything remotely similar in my searching. I think it may be Norwegian, or from scandinavia, not certain.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello

Nothing has come up with the markings of 1790 JOH. The tankard can be valued for what it is, the wooden tankard was used in the 1700-1800's. We see these quite often and are able to value it.

Glenda

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Glenda,
Thanks for your response. Can you give me some comparison? Do you have some insight into origin? I thought that the markings and the choice of animals might be a clue. Do you agree that it is most likely birch wood, and from Scandinavia? Could it be German? Also, was it an ornamental piece, or type used for real. I was hoping that was what I would get, as a guide. I attached a photo of the base. Hoping for an educated ballpark value. THANKS
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello

I cannot give comparisons my information comes from my antique reference material, which has copyright. I cannot copy from my books. I am sorry. I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, and have seen these many times. I also have seen them sold at higher end auction houses over the years. They are also listed in Data Bases we pay to use. So I can tell you the value! Where it came from and the age it appears to be from the image.

If you this is ok with you let me know.

Glenda

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. Disappointing. I used site instead of purchasing references or subscriptions to auction houses etc. Cant afford since i have too many unique pieces in different categories. Could you possibly provide name of your reference? Or tell me the origin/country? If its a authentic every day use, or for special purpose?

Hello

The Tankard is of Scandinavian Origin, From your pictures it appears to date from late 1700's to early 1800's. The wood is Birch or Teak,which were the most prominently used. The Tankard is hand painted. This was a utilitarian piece, it was used as a drinking vessel. References I use are Carter's, Millers Antiques, Kovell's, and many more. My library is extensive.

.
This is your answer, please rate this after reading the answer. You do so clicking one of the top stars or smiley faces ( on phones possibly )!
.
The Antique Tankard has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $200.00-275.00, depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally.
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.

.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
.
Rating of the answer is for my professionalism in my communications with you.
.
It is not based on the value of an item, which appraisers have no control over, or any site issues ( technical or otherwise) that may occur while using the site.
.
Appraisers are independent of the Just Answer site, we do not work for the site.
.
The only way we are compensated for our time, is by the rating you give me by clicking on one of the stars or smiley faces you see.

Please take the time to rate me,

Thank you

Glenda

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Glenda..
Thank you. This all i was hoping to find,out and confirm some,of,our theories. Internet is great, but this,one had me stuck for too long. Appreciate the recerences also.
Jen

Hello

.

Please take the time to rate me,

Thank you

Glenda