Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have an indian blanket/wrap haa typical Navaho colors, but

Customer Question

Hi, I have an indian blanket/wrap haa typical Navaho colors, but not sure Navaho. Measures 88"x 42" . Has single centered medalian in the shape of a tightly spaced feathered diamond
24 1/4"x 13" filled with what look like arrows approximate 3" in total length, with 1 1/2 of that being feathers x 1/4" shaft. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to ID it without seeing it, but am hoping you could steer me to somewhere close to Sacramento/Placerville Ca that might look at it cheap?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello

Is this blanket hand woven, with each design hand woven into the blanket. It looks like it is printed on?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no it is all hand woven wool absolutely not a print !! I had the people at our county museum and their best guess for age was 1900- 1930. I have looked at 1000s of navaho and Mexican blankets from google and the library, and can['t find anything close to the intricatesy of the medalian. Also, the fact that it is only 42" with, with only one centered medalian, makes me think it is more of a wrap than a blanket. Also, along the edges of both sides of the length, about every 1/2", there are broken loops/knots where décor was attached. From the examples I've seen, seems very rare to find anything with a sole, centered medalian. I want to sell this thing but I have to have an idea of age and value, or I just won't sell it until I know. some of these bankets range from $100- $2000. I have to know where I stand.

Hello

Thank you, ***** ***** tell you the pattern is called Eye Dazzler. But, I cannot find one like this to value this so I will opt out, maybe one of the other experts know the value.

Glenda

Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 9 months ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

The colors in this rug--the bright pink, turquoise, etc.--would be from the 1970s at the very earliest, definitely not 1900-1930.

Can you post some close-ups of the weave and edges?

Thanks.

Jennifer

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
well that is bad news. I have had it at least 30 years got it whenever grandmother died, don't know when or where she got it