Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

My grandparents bought these giant gate or entrance lights

Customer Question

My grandparents bought these giant gate or entrance lights 50 years ago, they alway told us they came from a Newport mansion they stand over 4 feet tall, they look just like the lamps that are on the gates of theBreakers anderbut mansion. They seem to have like a hard paper instead of glass in them, and I can't seem to find any marks on them to see who the maker is. Where would I look to find them
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I've also see a pair like them in London they were in the movie a fish called Wanda. My grandparents had a 19 foot doorway so they looked great on there home. Just odd I can't seem to find any information on them
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Would love to know what the papering looking glass is in the lights too
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ten minutes, it's been 24 hours
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello

What is it you are wanting to know about these?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Well I'm hoping to find some kind of marking so I can find out who made them and how old they truly are, and eventually what Newport mansion they came from, also what the glass is , I mean it's not glass it feels like a hard paper or something. I mean it's not everyday you come across 5 foot tall entrance way lights. These are the ones on the Breakers Vanderbut Mansion now, so I know these lights came from a grand estate it would just be nice to know the history on them
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello

I am sorry these are not things that can be done online. If the items are not marked there is no way to know who made them, when they were made. There is no way to know what mansion they would have belonged in. This is something that would have to be done by a Antique Appraiser Researcher, they would have to spend a lot of time trying to find out this information. This will be costly. Appraisers charge on average 200.00 an hour with a minimum of 200.00 to start. But, if an item is not marked there is no way to find out exact information,without extensive research. Online like this, the most that can be done for the amount of value that was placed on the question, is an estimated value on today's market.

Glenda