Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I recently recovered a small intact plain unmarked obviously

Customer Question

I recently recovered a small intact plain unmarked obviously handmade clay vessel from one of the beaches where the Spanish Plate Fleet of 1715 sunk in Florida. I am not sure if it is a native American artifact or possible Mexican or even Spanish origin...how can I find someone that can verify exactly what kind of pottery it is and whether I may have found shipwreck treasure? I have already tried the State Museum but they said they would need to see it in person (naturally they are on the other side of the state...lol). I have pictures and they do agree it's old but no one is sure on the ID. I truly need a ceramics expert...thank you!
Dawn-Marie Warnick
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello

This will have to be looked at in person to be authenticated and valued. The Museum is correct about that. This cannot be done online. You need to find an appraiser in your area, you need a antique stoneware expert. You can go to the site of International Society of Appraisers and American Society of Appraisers. You can locate one that is an expert in this type of item. Also check locally there are a lot of appraisers in the Florida area.

Glenda

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello Glenda,
I do appreciate your timely response however it was not anything that I was not already aware of. I am requesting a refund of the additional funds withdrawn from my account (less the initial appointment fee). Thank you.

Hello

That is fine. As an appraiser I had to be honest with you and tell you this could not be appraised online, since it cannot be looked at in person or possibly needing to be tested to determine age. This could be a valuable relic and trying to get a value on line, someone giving you a value would be a disservice to you.

Glenda

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do appreciate your candor and your time. What exactly do I need to do to ensure a $43.00 refund? Thank you.

Hello

You have to contact customer service. You do so by clicking the red flag at the top of the page.

Glenda