Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have 3 antique carved ivory figures by the Lega peoples of

Customer Question

I have 3 antique carved ivory figures by the Lega peoples of D.R. of Congo, formerly Zaire, that I bought at a gallery in Nairobi in 1972. They are 8", 8.5" and 10.5" tall and well carved. Would anybody be able to tell me what they are worth and how to go about selling them.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i will send pictures if the appraiser sends an email address
Expert:  Diana F. replied 9 months ago.

Hi. There are a number of factors that determine an expert's availability. It depends on when the customer might post a question. We have a number of experts in different specialties, and we don't work set hours here. Many of us have our own businesses, so we can't predict when a customer might post something in our area of expertise. We are also not employees of Just Answer. We come to the site just like you do.

.

I think in your case, it's more of a matter of an expert likely not wanting to tell you that even if someone values it, they don't want to have to give you the bad news that you likely cannot sell it. Even pre-ban ivory which has been "okay" to sell is now being banned virtually everywhere. Even eBay has banned all of it and most auction houses are following suit. Most online sites won't you to sell it either.

.

It's not illegal to own and no one should be coming after you just because you have it. I wouldn't worry about that, but because of all the new hardships, selling it is extremely hard and, honestly, getting near impossible. Because of that, it's extremely hard for any appraiser to place a value on something. Because of the bans, we have no recent sales to compare any ivory too. Not to make excuses, but most appraisers will be very hesitant to value ivory these days because we can no longer provide accurate, recent sales.

.

I could try to value it, but I cannot guarantee the values will be recent and would be nothing more than a ballpark and I cannot give you any places to sell it. I am very sorry to be one to say that, but I would hate for you to have unrealistic expectations.

Diana

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm aware that it is not illegal to own it but illegal to sell it. I was hoping that someone might be able to tell me what it is worth so that, if I was able to find a collector without advertising it, I would have some idea what it is worth. Should I send pictures or not?
Expert:  Diana F. replied 9 months ago.

Even selling through a private sell is still illegal. I'm not saying you can take the risk, it's just something I am required to mention. You can send pictures, but like I said, there are no recent records to go by. The market is essentially falling out on ivory and, in most cases, cannot give pieces away. I'll be glad to take a look and provide you with ballpark values.

.

~Diana

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
can you tell me the email address? I for got how to do this
Expert:  Diana F. replied 9 months ago.

Sure.

Just email the pictures to***@******.***

They have to be sent from the same email address that you used to sign up Answer (which is usually the email address you use to Log In). It has to be the same email address or JA won't recognize it and they'll just delete them.

.
Make sure you tell them that you've tried everything and that you're trying to get pictures to me (DianaF) in antiques and give them your screen (customer) name and your real name.

.
That should do it.

.
Thanks,

Diana