Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

C.M is there any value in very early prints, these prints

Customer Question

C.M Russell is there any value in very early prints
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: these prints were found in an old wood cabin in N.Dakota about 60 years ago by my dad.they have both signature and buffalo skull
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: the dates are 1910 and 1908
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Antiques Appraiser responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Antiques Appraiser about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please tell me the size of the prints.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello my name is Alan
prints are 10"x 12"

Alan,

Charles Marion Russell (1864-1925 USA) is the artist.

"Considered by many to be the premier artist of the American West, ***** ***** was no armchair cowboy. Born into a wealthy St. Louis family on March 19, 1864, he had his imagination piqued by stories his grandmother, Lucy Bent Russell, told about her brothers, the Bent Boys, who were famous frontier adventurers. Instead of going to school, Charlie would play hooky and hang around the docks of the thriving Mississippi, visiting with pioneers who were heading West. His parents even sent him to New Jersey to a military school in the hopes of "shaping him up"but his dream was only intensified.

Russell was a masterful painter, and each of his paintings told a great story. Even the titles of the paintings told what the story depicted was about. On September 9, 1896 he married ***** *****, and they moved to Great Falls. She was fourteen years his junior; she was a strong-willed woman and encouraged him to write short stories. She demanded such high prices she earned the name "Nancy the Robber". She became his business manager and slowly but carefully built up his reputation and stopped his practice of giving away his art. Russell began to sell his paintings at good prices and together he and Nancy began to enjoy the rewards of fame. He died in Great Falls, Montana on October 24, 1926 of a heart attack."
Written and submitted by Jean Ershler Schatz, artist and researcher from Laguna Woods, California.

Source:
Talking Pictures by Joan Stauffer in Art and Antiques Magazine (Date unknown)

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

Using this standard method, I was able to determine an auction value of $1534 for each of your 10x12" prints.

His original paintings sell very high.

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Thank you.

Hi there!
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Let me know,
Kind regards,
Doris