Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Checking to see if this book is the real thing. Sonnets from

Customer Question

Checking to see if this book is the real thing. Sonnets from the Portuguese Elizabeth Barrett Browing Haeper & Rowe publishers 1817
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The publisher is Harper & Rowe. Their little symbol is on the front of the book with 18 on the left side and 17 on the right.
Expert:  Diana F. replied 9 months ago.

Hi. I'm not sure what you mean by if it's the real deal. Yes, Harper and Rowe did publish a copy of Sonnets from the Portuguese. It couldn't have been published in 1817 though. Sonnets from the Portuguese wasn't published until 1850. 1817 is when Harper and Rowe was founded though. The book could date back to about 1932. That was when Harper and Rowe first published their version of the book.

.

Was that what you were looking for or were you looking for something else?

~Diana

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I knew Harper & Rowe did not publish the Sonnets from the Portuguese until 1850.Why is their stamp on the leather cover with 18 on the left and 17 on the right. I will try to send you pictures with in the next 2 weeks. thank you
Expert:  Diana F. replied 8 months ago.

Hi. They weren't the firstThe 18 and 17 should be a reference to Harper and Row's founding date (1817), but I look forward to seeing pictures. Thanks.