rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

My mother was quite a collector and I am trying to figure

Customer Question

My mother was quite a collector and I am trying to figure out the best way to handle everything. The main collection is of collectible plates from the 1980's from The Hamilton Collection, Pemberton and Oakes, Franklin Mint, Knowles, Calhouns and Reco International. The colletion includes many Donald Zolan and some DeGrazia's. She also had a mostly full set of Fostoria Meadow Rose glassware.
I don't even know where to start. I don't think I would be able to sell them one by one on ebay. There are far too many. I live in Wyoming so there aren't many opportunities to take them anywhere to be evaluated, etc.
Any suggestions would help.
Thank you.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 11 months ago.

This is quite a collection! The collectible plates from the 1980's are not worth very much and average as follows;

Hamilton Collection plates from the 1980's-$10.00 to $14.00 each

Pemberton and Oakes/Donald Zolan plates $10.00 and under each

Franklin Mint plates- $6.00 each on average (unless they are made of silver)

Knowles plates- $5.00 and under each

Calhoun plates- $9.00 average each

Reco Int'l plates-$15.00 to $20 each

The Fostoria Meadow Rose is elegant glass from the 1930's and is still quite collectible. You can expect $20 each for goblets, $15 and under for each smaller stem ware piece.

The best thing to do in your case is to find a local auction house that can auction these items for you. They would sell it and in 14 to 45 days you would get a check for the hammer price minus their 15 to 20 percent commission (which is negotiable if you have a lot of items). You can use the Google search to find an auctioneers in your area since I am not familiar with Wyoming auctioneers.

I do hope this has helped.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.