Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

We inherited two pieces of furniture a Hutch and corner

Customer Question

We inherited two pieces of furniture a Hutch and corner cabinet from my mother in law. Unfortunately she has Alzheimers and can not give us any detail about the pieces. I do know that before she lost her memory she told us they are of good value. She is from East coast Cape cod area. Both pieces are maybe 100 years old. I have pictures. What would be my next step to find out who made,style and value of each piece.
Thanks dedee milnes
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Diana F. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dedee.

Unfortunately unless the pieces are lucky enough to have a makers mark or stamp of some kind, there won't be any way to say for certain who made them. There have been hundreds of furniture makers that have come and gone and many more that were completely unheard of. I can help with possibly dating them and providing values if you would be interested in that?

.

~Diana

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do you look for markers on such pieces? The drawer?
Expert:  Diana F. replied 1 year ago.

The marks could be anywhere. They could be on the backs of the furniture, on the underneath, inside drawers. I've even seen some on the backs of legs. More often than not they are usually on the back if they have them.

~Diana