Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA
54025905

I received a sword from a friend and we thought it was just

Customer Question

I received a sword from a friend and we thought it was just junk. My neighbor thinks it's a Katana and via the web it does look like it could be.
My question is how do I find out what I have?
Thank you
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 1 year ago.

Good day my name is*****

I am a Certified IRS Qualified Fine and Decorative Art Appraiser. It will be a pleasure to put my expertise, libraries, resources, and experience in the field to work for you.

Thank you for your question. The wave pattern in the blade does look like a Japanese made sword bladed.

They usually come in pairs known as a daisho (meaning "big and small") set, comprised of a katana (which means "long sword") and wakizashi (which means "side arm").

The length will help determine which you have.

The length of the katana blade varied considerably during the course of its history. In the late 14th and early 15th centuries, katana blades tended to have lengths between 70 and 73 cm (27½ and 28½ in). During the early 16th century, the average length approached closer to 60 cm (23½ in). By the late 16th century, the average length returned to approximately 73 cm (28½ in).

Are there any markings along the blade?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not that I can see on the blade itself. But I did just find on the Spacer something that looks like MUSHA?

Thank you. Musha swords make functional, battle ready blades. they are custom built hand-made sword. These blades are hand forged and hand sharpened of high carbon steel. So yours is a 20th century version of a samurai sword.

You can buy them new with Handle & Scabbard they sell for $50.00 to $60.00.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. It looks like it is a China made knock off. Is there any value in this piece? It is in poor condition I would say.

Around $20.00 to $30.00 to the right buyer. Even in poor condition it should take an edge.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then I'll just clean it up and keep it. I have a chemical that is designed to eat away corrosion and rust. What scares me is the chemical may contain some sulfuric acid, do you think that would mess up the blade?
Also, my wife and I are about to inherent some antiques like tea pots, china, silverware, Charles Dickens christmas village houses (several of them) and other items.
I tell you this because I am thinking about getting everything together and having you appraise it all. Do you only work with swords or do you cover multiple items?

I am certified as a general personal property appraiser and a certified fine art appraiser. We can work on small grouping of items. Please include Tim in the question and it will be direct to me.

The blade should clean up it is supposed to be carbon steel.

If you are satisfied with the answer please take a moment and rate it. That will permit Just Answer to compensate me for my time.

Thanks Timothy