Judith-on-Antiques
Judith-on-Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  A noted expert, author, TV personality, appraiser and columnist. President, Association of Online Appraisers
57035021

I recently inherit a large quantity of Porcelain Dolls (over

Customer Question

I recently inherit a large quantity of Porcelain Dolls (over 30 dolls). They are anything from 30 to 35 years old. They are from Franklin Mint, Paradise Galleries, Ashton-Drake Galleries and so on. These dolls are still in their original mailing box. I understand that there's probably a ton of porcelain dolls out in the market. And I also realized that some of theses dolls might not even be worth what was original pay for, but is there a place or site that one might visit that can give you a fair idea of theses dolls worth? All ready being to eBay. Most of them like I said are still in the original mailing box, they have their certificate and are number. I have visit the companies web but they are no help there, one would think that if they sold theses dolls they would at least still have information on them. Can you help me?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Judith-on-Antiques replied 10 months ago.

Hi Johann,

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

You have a collection of limited edition dolls. The sad fact about these dolls is that they have virtually no secondary market. This is because they have no historical value. They are only collectible because the company that made them says they are. They advertise that these dolls are a great investment, but they are absolutely not. I see them sell at auction where boxes and boxes of them sell for maybe $10. The auctioneer keeps adding more boxes of dolls in an attempt to get any bids at all.

These items are not limited either. The company continues to make them until orders stop coming in.

I think the best way to sell them is to find a local flea market, rent a table and sell them for a few dollars each. Whatever is left can be donated to a children's charity or hospital and you can take a tax deduction.

So sorry to be the bearer of sad tidings but, I hear from two or three people a week, all trying to sell their limited edition collectibles. They all hoped to retire on their profits - so sad.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you, Johann.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning your answer, please let me know.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!

Hi Johann,

I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about this item. I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you.