rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I bought a beautiful, large, 4ft by 4ft California Plein Air

Customer Question

I bought a beautiful, large, 4ft by 4ft California Plein Air painting at an estate sale.
The painting is by Marie Rose Kendall, circa 1915. what might my painting be worth?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. The next step would be for me to see pictures of the painting, signature and back of painting so that I can get visual clues of the date, condition, framing construction and value. Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures.
You can also email the pictures to***@******.*** and put 'for rarewares in antiques' in the subject line so that they will forward to me. This way takes a few hours usually, so thank you in advance for your patience.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello:
I emailed you a picture of the painting (front and back, yesterday)but haven't heard a response from you yet.
Is there any update with regards ***** ***** painting?
Thank-you

I have not received photos yet. Be sure that you used the same email to send that you used when you signed up.

I am excited to see this painting!

I got the pictures at 1pm EST today, thank you!

This does check out to be an original Marie Kendall painting and the frame/canvas construction also dates to the early 20th century. I did not see a photo of a signature, but there is no reason not to believe this is one of her paintings. So that you can compare, she signed Marie Kendall or Marie B Kendall in upper and lower case print. She was a California artist that lived from 1885-1953 and was known for impressionistic landscapes of California's natural beauty. This painting looks like the Mammoth Lakes area (don't quote me on that one). In looking at recent sales of her work at auction and gallery sales records, this piece (with some repair to the canvas on back) has a current value of $1500.00 retail and would be $4000 insurance/replacement value if you were to add it to your home policy.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.