Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

This painting was also in my parents home. It was painted by

Customer Question

This painting was also in my parents home. It was painted by JH Barnes in 1881 and engraved by JB Pratt. The tiny writing on the bottom of the print says it was recorded in the Library of Congress that year as well. I have not taken it apart to see if anything is on the back because the paper is very old. The frame seems to be wood with a plaster design on it. Where can I take it to be evaluated?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello

I am familiar with this print, would you like me to value this for you?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How can you do that with just a photo to look at?

Hello

Because I am very familiar with what you have. J B Pratt was an engraver that printed many prints by Artist, this is one they did, that was originally ( a painting ) by J H Barnes, he originally painted this in 1881. J B Pratt did many prints from artists.

I can see that the frame is intricate and I can see the print. That is how it can be valued if you like?

Glenda