Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I have a set of 9 Welsh Rabbit plates 9 1/2". They are in

Customer Question

I have a set of 9 Welsh Rabbit plates 9 1/2" . They are in very good condition. I was wondering what they were worth? Thank You.Trish
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Trish,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your plates.

This charming series of largely hand-painted plates was made in Staffordshire, England and dates to the 1910s to 1920s.

They were sold under the tradename "St Augustine Ware" or "Ye Olde English" (as on yours) but which Staffordshire pottery produced them has remained a mystery.

It's an example of what collectors call "motto ware", china embellished with hand written proverbs and pithy country quotes and rhymes. The ditties on these are a perfect example of motto ware:

Some sing the praises of Camembert,

And others of fromage de Brie,

But neither compare with a Welsh rabbit rare,

For that's just the cheese for me.

and:

If we can believe that Adam and Eve

Were ousted for improper feedin',

It's easier still this fact to believe,

There were no Welsh rabbits in Eden.

and

Except a pie of Rabbit fare,

None can compare

with a Welsh Rabbit Rare.

are three of the most frequently found on these.

"Welsh Rabbit" (or "Welsh Rarebit") is of course cheese on toast, a gentle dig at the Welsh who were believed to be too poor to afford meat, even the cheapest, which in those days was rabbit meat.

As for value, if you were to see a single one of these for sale in an antique store, and it was free of brown staining and rim chips and hairline cracks (but not fine unstained crazing, which is acceptable) it would have a price tag of $300. Subtract about 30% for stained ones or examples with fleabite chips on the rim.

Expect to get 30% - 40% of this if you were to sell at a good antique auction house or on line (eBay etc).

I do hope this helps!

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance with this, I would be glad to.

Best wishes,
Robert S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much. I was wondering if you knew of a good antique buyer that would give me a decent price for these other than Ebay.
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

A good option for selling is your local antique auction house, although they do charge a seller's fee of about 20% - 30%. Before consigning, be sure to clarify with them what you'll net from the sale.

You may net a little more on eBay (fees are about 10%) but there is packing and shipping to take into consideration, however a professional shipper (UPS etc) will do that for you if you wish.

I don't know of a specific antique dealer -you want someone located near you- dealers usually agree to pay the low end of the auction estimates if they're interested. I would contact your nearest antiques mall and ask who the local motto ware or Staffordshire china dealer is. They will know and give you contact details. This is probably the easiest way to go, because it requires little travel, no shipping worries and no auction commission fees.

Hope this makes sense.

Best wishes,

Robert.