rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I am interested in finding out about the story, the subject

Customer Question

I am interested in finding out about the history, the subject matter, the age, and the value as well as an estimation of what the jewels imbedded are and whether or not it would be worth having the missing pieces of abalone restored.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 9 months ago.

This is a Nippon vase made in Japan between 1891 to 1911, depending on the mark on the bottom. An M with a wreath is 1910-1911 and the Oak Leaf with Nippon Hand Painted next to it is the mark from 1891. Some were also not marked.

This vase is hand painted and the blue and pink dots are a heavy application of enamel paint to create what looks like a gemstone. What looks like embedded jewels are slivers of abalone, an iridescent shell. This vase has a value of $125.00 retail.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.