Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA
54025905

In 1972, I purchased a lot/unit of books at a Healdsburg

Customer Question

In 1972, I purchased a lot/unit of books at a Healdsburg farm house estate auction. I discovered three of the "volumes" were actually boxed sets of stereoscopic slides from WWI, (titled "World at War" from Time-Life). There are 300 pristine slides, each with detailed text on the reverse side. Butterfield and Butterfield estimated the value at $2,500 in 1975. How much might these be worth today, and is there a buyer who would preserve these for future generations?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 1 year ago.

Good day my name is Tim

I am a Certified IRS Qualified Fine and Decorative Art Appraiser. It will be a pleasure to put my expertise, libraries, resources, and experience in the field to work for you.

It would help if I can see images of the three volumes. Please include one of the title or label.

Here are instructions on how to send photos to this site. Go to: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-

Or you can email them to***@******.*** attention Tim in antiques.

or to use another site such as:

www.imgur.com or https://www.flickr.com/

If you use another site please copy and paste the url with your response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try to send pictures of the volumes, (including title, etc.) and of a slide - front and back.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. I was able to send pictures. They are of : all three boxes; a close up of one box that includes the title, etc.; the front of one slide; the back of one slide that shows detailed text related to the pictures on the front. I also have a viewer - not pictured - made of a combination of metal and wood. The set was made by the Keystone Company.
File names: WWIA.JPG, WWIB.JPG, WWIC.JPG and WWI-BACK OF PICTURES.jpg

Thank you for the photos of the keystone stereoscope library of World War I. Keystone produced the best quality stereoscope sets.

I checked several sources to find how much they have sold for. At auctions they go for $400.00 to $450.00. On ebay they can sell for $400.00 to $1,000.00 depending on how well the bidding goes. In 1975 period items like this were more desirable, unfortunately taste and the market has changed.

All the best

Tim