LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

I have a Birdseye maple reclining rocking chair that is hand

Customer Question

I have a Birdseye maple reclining rocking chair that is hand made. No markings on it and no nails were used. It has been in the family for about 60 years but is rumored to be over 200 years old.
I have not seen another like it. Trying to figure out age and origin as well as worth.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am a certified appraiser. I would be happy to help you. From the design and simple carving this rocker is very early 1800s in age. The wood is just beautiful and this has been well taken care of. It appears to be in excellent condition. The value would be 750-900.00 and insurance replacement value would be 1200-1500.00. It would be hard to find such a piece in age, condition and quality if this rocker was destroyed. Thank you for sharing.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do you have any idea where it was made? It's ballance is amazing. It seems to have been made for a mans frame. It will hold a reclining position without effort. It is very comfortable very similar to a zero G chair. Is there any historical info on this kind of chair? Any information would be appreciated.

Hi, thank you for the side view. Please allow me to research deeper and find your desired information. I will post back here my complete evaluation in a day or two at most.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Still waiting for a reply

Hello I am awaiting a reply from the History Museum in New York. I am sorry not to have let you know. I am wanting to know the maker if possible. Here is what I have found so far- This is a rocker done in the early 1800s--- possibly the 1700s, from the East coast believed to have been made by German immigrants. The wood is beautiful and the craftsman was a master. The chair is balanced, and the wood was hand chosen and took months to carve and produce one as everything was done by hand and eye. Beautiful piece I am checking to see if there were any masters that worked making these types of rockers. Thank you I will post my completion as soon as i am done.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Still waiting for info
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Still waiting for the rest of the answer
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Still waiting for info from NewYork history museum