Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I found an old watercolour dated 1829 underneath a victorian

Customer Question

I found an old watercolour dated 1829 underneath a victorian painting. It relates to the slave trade (which might explain why it was covered up) and I wonder if it might be worth something.. I can send you a picture
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why would you give an estimate of 8 minutes? be better to be honest so as not to waste people's time
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Can you tell me what the artist name is? The name on the right of the page on the bottom?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A L BROCKMANN. He has a couple of similar subject paintings in the Tropical Museum in Amsterdam, although they are later.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

You think this is a water color not a print? The edges are very straight, most water colors bleed out of the line.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does bleed at edges (see pics) and it feels right. I do believe it is not a copy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Picture of paunting that was on top
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you that helped.

.

Which painting are you wanting a value for ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In time I would like both pictures appraised. Sadly the angel painting is not signed. I believe it is done in pastels. That was on top of the water colour by Brockman..
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Ok, thank you, ***** ***** see if I can find any information on sales for A L Brockman. I will let you know as soon as I do.

Glenda