Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA
54025905

I have an old print in a very old frame, i think a print. It

Customer Question

I have an old print in a very old frame, i think a print. It is 16in. X 20in. visible size inside frame. Some water marking on the border but not in picture. I have photos I can send. Looking for more info and price.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Here are photos of the print.
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 9 months ago.

Good day my name is***** is a small line of print on the lower left of the image. Can you read it/

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The question has been answered it reads J. Hoover Philadelphia. Thank you

It is a circa 1890 Philadelphia. Chromolithograph published by J. Hoover. J. Hoover & Sons issued popular prints for the masses in the last decade of the 19th century and the first decade of the 20th century. This was a business much like Currier & Ives, though Hoover & Sons issued chromolithographs. Joseph Hoover was one of the few native-born Americans who achieved success with chromolithography. Hoover started by making elaborate wood frames in Philadelphia in 1856, but within a decade or so he began to produce popular prints.

Because this is a multiple print the value range is around $65.00 to $85.00. With the water damage possibly a little less.