rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a & Co. vase from my family. It is so uniformly dark,

Customer Question

I have a Rogers Smith & Co. vase from my family. It is so uniformly dark, I have three questions about it:
1) Has it always been dark, or do you think every bit of plating has simply been rubbed off in time?
2)If it was at one time silver-looking, would you suggest I have it replated? Would that increase value (though I don't plan ever to sell it; been in my family forever).
3)Does it have monetary value?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

Paul,

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help.

1) It has not always been dark, it was once plated with a coat of shiny silver. All of the plating has been lost due to handling, washing and polishing.

2) Do not have it re-plated, this will not increase its value.

3) This vase has a value of $20 whether black or re-plated. Silver plated items are not valuable unless they are by important companies or are in unusual shapes.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.