rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have an old silver glove box by Simpson, Plated with the

Customer Question

I have an old silver glove box by Simpson Miller Hall, Plated with the number 33 on the bottom. It belonged to my aunt before I got it. The bottom has some dents and the box has turned black. There is a floral design completely around the box and on the hinged top. Is there any value to this box? Also, how do I clean it or do I leave it black?
Thanks. ***@******.***
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. This box is a repousse silver plated glove box made by Simpson Hall Miller of Wallingford, CT about 1898- 1900. This box with a dent has a value of about $30.00 because it is metal coated with a thin wash of liquid silver (silver plate) and not solid silver.

It is hard to tell from the picture if it is dark from tarnish or more grey from the plating being gone. In either case, you will know once you polish it. The best stuff to use is Wright's Silver Cream (about 4.00 at the grocery store or Walmart in the cleaning supplies isle). It is very easy to use and there are no toxic fumes. Good luck!

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.