Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA
54025905

I need help identifying this oil painting of a desert

Customer Question

Hello I need help identifying this oil painting of a desert mountain scene. I cannot make out the signature
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Painting measures 36" x 24
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
email is fine. no call needed
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello, Is there someone that can someone assist me?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is***** would be happy to help you. I am a certified appraiser. Please allow me time to review your photos and post back here.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. Let me know if you figure it out
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello Just following up. Have you had a chance to research this yet?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I never received an answer on this
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello Tayna,Did you every find the answer for this, Or should I request s refund?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello, Will someone please review and assist me with identifing this artist.Thank you,
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 8 months ago.

Good day my name is*****

I am a Certified IRS Qualified Fine and Decorative Art Appraiser. It will be a pleasure to put my expertise, libraries, resources, and experience in the field to work for you.

I have reviewed the information and the images you previously posted.

As you already know the signature is hard to read. What letters can you make out. The first letter looks like a W and the names is about 5 letters long. Can you make out any other letters?

Some times it helps to hold a flash light at a slight angle you can see more details.

In the mean time I will see what I can figure out on the name. I will be offline on Saturday and back on Sunday.

Timothy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Here you go. Question if it's a W or another letter in the? I cannot tell you some of the images
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm sorry I meant to say another letter and a V ??
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello Tim,
I found to more hints. The canvas has a stamp on the back and there are initials on the back of the frame. I hope this helps
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
You may have right on the "w".

Thank you for the additional photos.

The stamp on the back of the canvas has what looks like a name Robert ( I can not make out the last name) but it ends with the words by the artist. Can you read any of the letters or words?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No The stamp on the canvas states. All copies and reproduction rights reserved by the artist.

Too bad he did not tell who the artist is.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Then I wouldn't need you. Ha Ha.. Did you see the signed initials of what looks like w p?

Yes it looks like UP.

It is nice to be needed.

I am going through my material on Contemporary Western artists to see if I can find a name or style that matches.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Actually, in looking at it again. Here are the pictures in the same direction as the stamp. So maybe c or o and z??
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Also found this on a website for artist monograms. But I don't have a membership but it looks similar to what I have. It was listed under initials WP

I have looked at the work and names of most of the contemporary western artist that have made it to the secondary market. This is usually auctions, which provide records of the sales, that give us the comparable records that we use to determine a the value. The artists that have similar looking names do not match the style, palette or technique used by the artist that painted your landscape.

I went to the website you pointed out. I have used Joseph Castagno's directories before. He has tracked signatures of recognized artists. I also have the dictionary of artist's signatures used by Sotheby's. There is no match to the WP that you mentioned. Another factor is that it is unusual for an artist to sign the stretcher bar.

Even if we identify the artist who signed the painting, it does not necessarily mean that you have a valuable work of art. The painting was produced by either a talented amateur. I see them all the time in art league shows. Or you have a paintings that could very well be the work of a “Starving Artist”. Starving Artist art sales became popular in the 1970s. They are generally held in hotels or convention centers across the country and advertised as the opportunity to own an authentic work of art at a discounted price. I know of several dealers who does this type of sale. He goes to areas such as Santa Fe or Taos, where the artists are working and takes them across the US .The paintings are usually signed with only a first name or illegible signature and sometimes a two-digit date such as “72” for 1972.

So in conclusion it is most likely you have a well executed painting by a fairly skilled artist of a desert landscape, signed indistinctly. As such it has an estimated fair market value of $300.00 to $500.00 in a retail setting.

Regards Timothy