Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA
54025905

I have a roll top desk manufactured by the 'Michigan Desk

Customer Question

I have a roll top desk manufactured by the 'Michigan Desk Co'. It states that on the keyhole plate as well as 'Constantine Mich. U.S.A.' found this company was only open from 1907-1918. The base is 29 3/4" high x 48" across x 28" deep. Tambour is 28" deep. Total height of desk is 44 1/2". Surface of base is 29" x 50. Wooden pegs keep tambour attached to base, as well as the top of the tambour to the sides. . Slats held by canvas. It is oak with original finish. Four drawers on the left side and cabinet with slots on the right side. Two pull outs for extra work space. It is in fair to good condition. I'm not sure how to judge that but everything works okay. There are a few spots where the wood has separated a bit both on the cabinet door and the pieces on the sides. My husband's family has owned this desk from since original purchase. There are two newer screws holding side of tambour to the back piece located towards the bottom. Two small drawers under roll top with cubby holes. Looks like ink stain towards back center of writing surface of desk. I hope this is enough and helpful information to get a good idea of its value. Thank you so much!
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 9 months ago.

Good day my name is Tim

I am a Certified IRS Qualified Fine and Decorative Art Appraiser. It will be a pleasure to put my expertise, libraries, resources, and experience in the field to work for you.

It would help if I can see images of the desk. One of it as a whole from the front plus one of the label.

Here are instructions on how to send photos to this site. Go to:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Or you can email them to***@******.*** attention Tim in antiques.

or to use another site such as:

www.imgur.com or https://www.flickr.com/

If you use another site please copy and paste the url with your response.

The 'Michigan Desk Company also known as the Greenway Furniture Company was located in Grand Rapids Michigan, better known as Furniture City. Was the capital of furniture making from the later part of the 19th Century into the 20th century. A good Grand Rapids Roll Top Desk can sell for $850.00 to $1,400.00, depending on it's condition. An elaborate one in excellent condition goes for more.