Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I have a little red riding hood cookie jar that is plain

Customer Question

i have a little red riding hood cookie jar that is plain white with gold accents it is marked: little red riding hood and pat.des.no. 135889 usa - can u tell anything about it
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 9 months ago.

Hi Jay,

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to help with your Little Red Riding Hood cookie jar.

Could you very kindly attach a photo of the mark on the bottom.

Also, any chips around the rim or cover?

Many thanks and wait to hear,
Robert

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
here you are
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no chips around rim or cover

Thanks for the photo of the bottom.

That's great that it has no chips.

One more question: is the inside of the cover glazed or unglazed.

Meanwhile, leave this with me and I'll see what I can track down on this gold and white version. It's quite rare.

Many thanks,
Robert

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Unglazed it feels like

Unglazed, okay, thanks that's helpful.

This is just a curiosity of these Red Riding Hood cookie jars which means that it's one of the ones that Regal China made from scratch.

Hull Pottery also supplied undecorated "blanks" for this line of cookie jars, which were then simply painted by Regal China. The consensus among cookie jar collectors is that the blanks made by Hull are the ones that are glazed inside the hood (lid). Those made entirely by Regal China, like yours, are unglazed inside the hood. They all date to the early 1940s and were an extremely popular item in their day and indeed remain so today.

Typically, the only variations in the decoration on these is the treatment of the apron and the floral pattern on her dress, namely roses, poppies and the rarest, those with poinsettias. Very occasionally one sees an undecorated blank for sale, and even more rarely, your version with the gold trim which must have been introduced as a Christmas novelty one year in very limited numbers.

Looking at recent sales records, this example of your gold trimmed version sold on line for $80 but it had damages and the gold was in poor shape. I believe that yours would sell at auction or on line in the range of $150 - $250.

It would therefore have a full retail or replacement value of $500 and is what you should insure it for

do hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Robert S.

PS. If there's anything more I can help you with on this, please don't hesitate to ask. If not, could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do. And if you have another item you'd like to ask me about, just start a new Question and put "For Robert S....." in the subject line. Thanks, R.