Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have an old copper pitcher. How can I find out what it is

Customer Question

I have an old copper pitcher. How can I find out what it is worth? My mom got it in Germany about 49 years ago. She said it was worth money.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Can you please send a view of the underside and clear, in-focus close-ups of any marks. Also a well lit view of the lid when open. Currently there is one image of the front of the pitcher that I can see on my end.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the images. Please allow me some time to look these over for you.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Can you please include a photo of the underside, there is not one attached here that I can see on my end.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the underside. There are no markings or writing on it.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

What you have is a circa 1900 Art Nouveau era Jugendstil or Secessionist copper and brass tall claret (red wine) decanter. It is made in the style of wares from WMF or Württembergische Metall Warenfabrik from Germany.

Here is a link to a comparable for you of a marked WMF piece that sold for $750:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/wmf-art-nouveau-copper-brass-claret-jug-wine

Yours being unmarked may have been designed by Carl Deffner. Expect to garner as high as $300 - $400 for yours on today's market.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora