Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA
54025905

I have a painting I believe was painted by Vincent Van Gogh.

Customer Question

I have a painting I believe was painted by Vincent Van Gogh. It is a painting of boats, similar to "Quay with Men Unloading Sand Barges" in Essen, Museum Folkwang. It is 17 1/4 inches by 21 1/2 inches, painted on a scrap of cloth, stretched, and primed by hand. It is not thickly painted as the signed version in Germany. I feel this painting is the study for the signed work done on canvas.
A letter sent from Vincent to Theo in early August 1888 tells of his lack of canvas, and that is the reason he painted this on a scrap of cloth.
Can you help me verify the authenticity of my painting?
Fred ****
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't want to start a continuing monthly payment. I just want to know about this one painting. I am willing to pay $48 for this.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do not understand what is going on. I thought I was asking a question about a painting and I would get an answer. I do not want to have a long time payment going on. Can someone help me understand what I have gotten myself into?
Thank you,
Fred ****
*****************@*****.****
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 9 months ago.

Mr. Fred Acquistapace, my names is Tim. I am a fine art appraiser. You have a major challenge before you. First we can give you an opinion of value based on the readily apparent identity of a work of art. We are not authenticators. With works by Van Gogh, authentication is in the hands of the Van Gogh Museum. The problem with them is they have certain conditions.

http://www.vangoghmuseum.nl/en/about-the-museum/like-to-know-whether-you-have-a-van-gogh

Procedure and conditions

1) We can only process your request if you are the owner of the work in question.

2) Before you submit a request, please read our terms and conditons:

3) By submitting a request, you consent to our terms and conditions.

4) If you submit an authentication request, you will receive confirmation by e-mail with your request number and the conditions for visual material.

5) You then have four weeks in which to supply the visual material (and any additional documentation) by post to the Van Gogh Museum, stating the number of your authentication request. The visual material must satisfy the Requirements for Visual Material

Our address:
Van Gogh Museum
Collections, Research & Exhibitions (your request number here)
PO Box 75366
1070 AJ Amsterdam
The Netherlands

Next steps

Once we have received your visual material by post, we will check whether your authentication request meets the stated requirements. If so, you will receive a response from us within a maximum of three months. There are two possibilities:

• In the Van Gogh Museum’s opinion, your work is not by Vincent van Gogh. If this is the case, we will notify you by e-mail. You will only be provided with a short, standard explanation (e.g. ‘Your work is a reproduction of a work by Van Gogh’ or ‘Your work is not related stylistically to Van Gogh’s oeuvre’).
  • Before we can give a firm opinion, we would like to examine your work in more detail at the Van Gogh Museum. Experience shows that an average of five requests in every 200 fall into this category. We will send an e-mail inviting you to deliver your work to the museum. If, during that examination, we conclude that further technical analysis is needed, we will contact you to plan the details. If it turns out that parts of this analysis need to be contracted out or that the research is likely to be time-consuming, we will consult with you about the costs.

You will receive our opinion by e-mail. We will explain our view concisely or in detail, depending on the findings.

The Van Gogh Museum uses cookies on this website.

If you are considering selling the work another option is to have an auction house look at the work. If you want to go in that direction let me know and I will give some contacts.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Dear *****,
Thank you for your reply. I guess I will have to deal directly with the Van Gogh Museum. I appreciate the information you sent.
I sent a payment of $48 by Pay Pal. Will that be charged to me or will it be returned?
Fred ****

I am an independent appraiser and am compensated by Just Answer when you rate or accept my answer. You have to ask customer service for any other billing questions.

Here is the phone number. 1(###) ###-####/p>