Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner, Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

Keane - Girl and her Cat 1961

Customer Question

Margaret Keane - Girl and her Cat 1961
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please tell me the size of your painting not including the frame. Do not remove from the frame.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This painting had a small typewritten tag on the back of the piece "girl and her cat" with a stamped number of 2139 on the backing paper. Size without the frame is about 11 x 8 inches
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is in the original frame, the paper backing is very fragile.

What is the medium.....oil, watercolor, etc.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Medium seems to be oil, on art board of some kind...for as much as I know about it/

Thank you for the information and photo.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I should be back within 40 minutes.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fantastic.. thank you

You are welcome.

Margaret Keane (born 1927) is an American artist. She is an illustrator and painter, and mainly draws women and children in oil or mixed media. Her works are instantly recognizable (although often imitated) from the doe-eyed children that are depicted in the drawings.

Margaret D. H. Keane was born in Tennessee, and attributes her deep respect for the Bible and inspirations of her artwork to the relationship with her grandmother. She later became one of Jehovah's Witnesses, which she said changed her life for the better.

In the 1960s, Margaret Keane's artwork was sold under the name of her husband, Walter Keane. He locked her in a room and forced her to paint,while taking credit for her work. Conflict over that issue was cited as one of the reasons they divorced. Neither wanting to relinquish rights to the artwork, Walter and Margaret's divorce proceedings went all the way to federal court. At the hearing, Margaret created a painting in front of the judge to prove that she was the artist. Walter declined to paint before the court, citing a sore shoulder. In 1986, the courts sided with her, enabling her to paint under her own name.

Her works while living in her husband's shadow tended to depict sad children in a dark setting, but after divorcing, moving to Hawaii, and becoming one of Jehovah's Witnesses, her paintings took on a happier, brighter style. Her website now advertises her work as having "tears of joy" or "tears of happiness".

Keane is a fixture in popular culture. Some of her well-known fans over the years have included actresses Joan Crawford and Natalie Wood, whom she painted portraits of; filmmaker Tim Burton, who commissioned Keane to paint Lisa Marie; and animator Craig McCracken, whose characters the Powerpuff Girls are based on Keane's 'waifs'; additionally the Girls' schoolteacher is named "Ms. Keane".

Currently Margaret makes her home in Napa County, California. She will be portrayed by ***** ***** in the upcoming Tim Burton film Big Eyes.

Cultural references
• The American television comedy show Saturday Night Live once had a skit that featured her work, during the time when it was thought to be by her husband, as a parody of the reaction against modern art (e.g., Cubism or the New York Armory Show). "People don't look like that!" one comedian shrieks, before the picture in question was shown to the camera and audience as the punch line.
• In Woody Allen's 1973 comedy Sleeper, the people of the future consider Keane to be one of the greatest artists in history, one of many references mocking the popular culture of the seventies.
Late Night with Conan O'Brien has "bumper" art in her style depicting a glum Conan O'Brien at his desk, next to a dog.
• Weird Al Yankovic's song Velvet Elvis, in which the narrator says he needs "no pictures of Mexican kids with those really big eyes or dogs playing poker".
• In season 3, episode 20 of 90210 (Women on the Verge), Annie is described as looking "like a Keane painting."
• In the American television comedy series Newhart, Michael (played by Peter Scolari), in search of his artistic muse, has been painting obsessively. When Bob (Bob Newhart) looks at Michael's "masterpiece" his puzzled observation is "Children with big ears?"
• A Keane painting is featured briefly in a music video for American band Devo's song R U Experienced?, first as an effect when lead singer Mark Mothersbaugh's head morphs to become the child from the painting, and then again shortly after as the painting hanging on the wall of a home in the video.

Source:
"Margaret Keane", Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Keane (Accessed 4/23/2013)

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

Using this standard method of assessment, I was able to determine an auction value of $6,600 assuming good but dirty condition.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fantastic... Thank you very much Doris. I knew the story behind this artist; husband, movie etc, but didn't realize she was still living. This is very helpful!

You are welcome. Please note this biography was written in 2013.

Please do not forget my need for A POSITIVE RATING.It is the ONLY WAY I AM credited BY JA for my work. 5 Stars.
Kind regards,

Doris

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Let me know,
Kind regards,
Doris