rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

Need information and value of my grandmother's Swiss made

Customer Question

Need information and value of my grandmother's Swiss made Hofrerers fold open in three sections full of jewels and white gold
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. I need photos of this piece and of any maker's marks on it. You can do this by using the Add Files feature on your screen.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am traveling tomorrow. I only know how to take pictures with my phone and text message. If I was with my son he knows how transfer my pics from camera to laptop and then I know how to send by add files. Let me work on this when I get to my destination..Going to visiting an elderly aunt who we just lost my uncle and her husband.. I plan to be back at home in Fairbanks,Alaska on the 5th of March..is that too late for help from my son? Oh wait I have a tablet he set up for me with email and I know it takes pictures..Let me get to Aunt June in Deming NM and I will work on it. I brought the watch to Phoenix to have it cleaned and looked at for maintenance with a certified Horologist but didn't linger long enough to do it, thank you for your time and patiences sue

Great, I will wait to hear from you again. Safe travels!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
finally have 2 pics on my laptop desktop. Hitting on add files does nothing. What else can I do? thanks
Expert:  rarewares replied 9 months ago.

So sorry, the site seems a bit wonky today.

You can email pictures to***@******.*** and be sure to put 'for rarewares in antiques' in the subject line so that they will forward them to me. This way takes a few hours, so thanks in advance for some patience.

Thank you for the pictures, they just arrived at 9pm on the east coast.

I need a bit more information. I need to know what it says on the dial, the inside of the case (just the printed items, not the scribed repairs) and the number that might be printed on the movement where the jewels are. These are all really important things and the distance of the pictures does not allow me to close in.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Name on (face) dial: HOFFERS with a ' above EInside of case: Starwatchcaseco. Inside a line like a diamond shape on it's side is 14K 585/1000 FINE. Underneath this is a number(###) ###-####
On movement with jewels: Swiss HOFFERS watch co
15 jewels
3 THREAD
7P (in a circle)
9?)7139 movement This is the only thing I am not sure of. I have a jeweler's magnifier at home. But not home!!
left side of needle to set fast or slow RSW and AFW on right side of needleThanks so much for your help and patience

Thanks for all of that work!

This a Hofrer art deco ladies 15-jewel, 14k gold wrist watch with a sapphire cabochon winding stem. Hofrer was not a Swiss company but rather a trademark of Hoffman Brothers of New York City. They were one of many different companies that were importing Swiss watch movements in to the United States. This watch was made in the early 1920's, with a Star Watch Case company 14k gold case. The Hoffman's used Star Watch cases almost exclusively. Most of their watches had faces with diamonds and sapphires around the dial, this is a more subdued model. This watch has a current value of $300 to $400.00 retail.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.