Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have a pattern of a plate that came out of the

Customer Question

Hello. I have a pattern of a plate that came out of the Czechoslovakia [CZE7861]
I could send you a picture, but this site will not let me. It was from my great aunt. I am 61 yrs old. It is a complete set for 6 . Is there a site where I can attach a picture.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 10 months ago.

There is one image of the back side of a piece attached here that I can see on my end. Please send images of the front side.

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 10 months ago.

My screen shows you sent a response back to me, but there is not one posted here.

~Nora

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Here is the front
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I sent you pic of the front
Expert:  Nora replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for the image. Please allow me some time to look these over for you.

~Nora

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Nora replied 10 months ago.

You are welcome

Expert:  Nora replied 10 months ago.

I have not found a match to this for you.

I will opt-out here and open your question again to all the experts at no additional charge. If someone knows the answer, they will respond to you here. You do not need to re-post your question.

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

Sincerely,

Nora

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How long will this take?
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

The mark on your porcelain is called a "Generic Czechoslovakia country of origin mark."

That means any factory in Czechoslovakia could have made your plates. The mark was used from the 1890s to the 1940s.

The number/letter is the factory generated ID or pattern mark for your pates.

Now please give time to look values for your plates.

I should be back within 30 minutes.

I thank you for your continuing patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

To complete my answer, I need a little more information.

In rereading your question, I found that you may have more than just a set of six plates.

To determine an accurate value for your set, I need to know how many pieces each of the 6 guests have?

Then I need to know what serving pieces you have. These can add as much as 50% to the value of a set.

I look forward to your reply.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
6 plates- 6 salad plates- 6 bowls - 6 finger bowls - 6 saucers - six tea cups - 1 platter - one chafing dish with cover - 2 larger serving bowls
Then matching mud pieces
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Misc. pieces

I thank you in advance for your continuing patience.

I should not be much longer now.

Kind regards,

Doris

From my research, I was able to determine a retail vintage store value of $1500-1600 assuming excellent condition.

As for where to sell.....If you want to sell quickly at wholesale prices, try one of these sites.
I do not know where you live so I will make suggestions for three countries.

In US:
ChinaLane.com
ChinaFinders.com
ChinaReplacements.com

In UK:
ChinaSearch.co.uk
MatchingChina.co.uk
ChinaMatchers.co.uk
ReplaceYourPlates.co.uk

Australia: http://www.allthegalleries.com/dealers/porcelain.html

If you would like to sell close to retail , some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
GoAntiques.com - more upscale fee based
Rubylane.com - more upscale fee based
Tias.com
Amazon Marketplace: http://services.amazon.com/content/sell-on-amazon.htm/ref=footer_soa?ld=AZFSSOA
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

Another method that could be very effective would be to place a classified in the "Maine Antique Digest" It has a large readership of collectors all across the country.

I highly recommend this method. They only charge $25 for 25 words in a classified ad. This publication is a monthly newspaper as well as on their internet website.

http://www.maineantiquedigest.com/advertising

If you decide to sell then you probably will need to ship.

How to pack and send china:

China is best packed with 2 paper plates between the plates, platters and saucers. Then wrap a few plates together with several layers of bubble wrap. Tape the loose ends of the bubble wrap together.
For cups and bowls, wrap separately with a couple of layers of bubbble wrap.

Put a several inch layer of crunched newspaper in the bottom of each packing box.

Arrange the heavier items on the newspaper first. Then add the cups and small bowls on top of the heavier pieces.

In a second box, crunched newspaper, stacked plates face up, not on edges followed by lighter items.

Before putting the newspaper in the bottoms, reinforce the bottom and sides of a strong corrugated box with cut corrugated sheets (cut from another box). Then start with the crunched newsprint.

After filling each box up to about 5 inches from the top, put several inches of crumched newsprint on the top of the stacked china.

Firmly tape the box closed with several layers of tape.

Write two things on all the sides of the boxes - "Fragile" and "Top" with arrows pointing to the top.

On the top, write "This side up."

For expensive items, the Postal service will allow one to purchase higher insurance.

If possible, ship two-day service. This eliminates long trips with boxes transferred from truck to truck.

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM COMPENSATED BY JA for my time and effort. This is of NO EXTRA COST TO YOU.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I was a bit disappointed, I would think with the hand written number on it, should be narrowed down to a factory and date. Can you please look a bit closer

I am sorry but I have studied and researched the marks carefully. There are no records that give such detailed information. Porcelains made in Czechoslovakia at this time were only marked this way all over the country with no identification for the factory or the city.

The letter and numbers were for factory use only. Their exact reference was buried deep in the records of the country which probably were destroyed during the chaos of WWII.

Kind regards,

Doris

Please consider giving me a positive rating. It is the only way I AM COMPENSATED BY JUST ANSWER for my work.
You should see five stars. This is where you rate me. Rating me A POSITIVE
DOES NOT COST YOU ANY EXTRA.