Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have what I think to be an old (antique?) Safe. The safe

Customer Question

I have what I think to be an old (antique?) Safe. The safe is locked without a key. Before I try to get in the Safe, I'd like to learn something about the Safe itself. There is a marking at the top that says "Carl Nowotny Wien" and the initials C.N.
I can't find anything on this.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Please send images of the entire front of safe and the approximate dimensions.

If you had already attached images to your initial posting, only a close up of the name 'Carl Nowotny Wien' is showing here on my end.

Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's another pic. It is in 2 pieces. The bottom part is just a wood base that the safe sits on.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

This safe dates to circa 1900.

The Wien, indicates Vienna, Austria.

Carl Nowotny, if the same person who is named on the safe, was a Reverend and resident of Vienna who performed musical concerts. Vienna is known worldwide as a center of classical music.

There is scant biographical information available on the Reverend, with the exception of some music books he compiled and had published around 1914.

Are there any maker names on the small dials of the safe?

~Nora