Steven-R
Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  I am a retired Major, US Army, and an antiques and collectibles consultant based on the east coast.
74160645

This bench has been in my family 3 generations. I was able

Customer Question

This bench has been in my family for over 3 generations.
I was able to find a drawing of it online called ancient Roman scamnum.
Please let me know if you have any information on this piece.
Thank you
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 10 months ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

The Roman scamnum you are referring to is a bronze bench that was found in Pompeii, made circa 70AD, currently held in the Museo Archeologico Nazionale di Napoli.

What you have is a copy of the one in the museum, most likely early 20th century.

Is the framework wood or metal? I can't tell from the photos. And are there any marks, stamps, or labels on the underside?

Jennifer

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
All the frame work is bronze, the seat is wood, I have not found any stamps or inscriptions on it

Unfortunately, despite a lot of research, I'm unable to come up with more on this piece.

I am going to opt out and open to other appraisers. You don't need to do anything and you won't be charged more.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your time
Expert:  Steven-R replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am pleased to offer assistance. You do indeed have a form of scamnurn, which was a type of bench or a step which was placed before the beds of the ancients in order to assist persons in getting into them, but most all originals known are made of metal, including the seat. I feel you most likely have a Renaissance form of Victorian copy, honestly--a period in which revival of earlier forms were plentiful in Europe and imported into the US as well. I truly do not think it is ancient at all, but it likely is antique at this point in time, meaning it clearly is over 100 years of age.

Pieces like this appeal to those in the décor trade primarily, as it doesn't really fit into most modern applications--but it appears to be of good quality and COULD date to the mid to late 19th century--difficult to ascertain without a maker mark or seeing it in person.

As a historical copy, it still has decent value--$600-1,200 in the right market. If selling, I would try an upscale venue like Lofty.com based in NYC...they do rather well with items such as that.

If I may assist you further, please just ask.

Have a blessed day!