Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

We inherited artwork from my husband family. It's says the

Customer Question

We inherited artwork from my husband family. It's says the painting was painted by George Catlin in the mid 1800's. The story was Catlin was passing through Tennessee and bartered painting relatives of my husbands in exchange for attorney services. The painting is a mother and child (ancestors of my husbands) with a prayer book (we also have). It was sent to the Japan by boat in the late 1800's..then back to the US as a wedding gift in 1896.
How do I get more information and how do I take care of this artwork for further generations
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

What is the size? Is this signed? And can you please send an image of the backside of this (do not remove from frame).

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No signature due that it was for attorney services..I do have the names of my husbands ancestors in the pictures and the husband of the woman in the picture who was the attorney for Catlin (who had financial problems when this was painted per family story) my daughter is 6'1 (in the pic)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I typed in my cell incorrectly. If you would rather text it is(###) ###-####
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the images.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

I am wondering if you would like to do a call about your painting, I sent an additional services offer, which is your choice to accept.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

I am just following up to see if you are still seeking an assessment on your painting? Do you have the information on the names of the people in the portrait and their history?

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feel like this is a scam. I didn't get any answers when I paid the first time, only questions..and if I accept...I pay more. I should have inquired with someone in person instead of online. A real shame.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.

I will not be able to respond back after opting-out

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

~Nora