Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA
54025905

I have a old chest it is on brass wheels and all the nges

Customer Question

I have a old chest it is on brass wheels and all the hinges and screw are brass some of them have been painted over the inside lid of the chest has some fancy inlay art and it is held with brass screws that go all the way thru the lid I am wondering if any one has ever saw anything like it my great grandfather give it to me and he said it come from a old ship he was the caretaker of the court house
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
heres some more pictures the hasp type lock was added it has a lock built in the chest itself
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
are you going to need any more information
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 10 months ago.

Good day my name is Tim

I am a Certified IRS Qualified Appraiser. It will be a pleasure to put my expertise, libraries, resources, and experience in the field to work for you.

What is the size of the chest?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The Top Measures 22- 1/2" x 41" heigth 20-1/2" that's without wheels with wheels its 23 the brass wheels measure 4" diameter all the metal and screws on the chest appear to be brass is there anything else I can tell you

I have enough to do the research. I will try to have an answer for you this evening.

You have what appears to be a late 19th Century sailors sea-chest. The interior is decorated with marquetry, small pieces of wood fitted together to form a pattern. Most of the chests I have seen are painted on the outside with nautical themes. Sailors have a great deal of time on their hands when off watch, so they create a variety of things from the materials at hand. A decorated sea-chest can bring from $700.00 to $1,000.00 at the right auction. On the East Coast. Boston Harbor Auctions sells them on a regular basis.

BOSTON HARBOR AUCTIONS

PHONE:(###) ###-####/p>

EMAIL:***@******.***

Did you receive my answer?