LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

Authentic Middle eastern handmade Iranian silk carpet

Customer Question

Purchased in Iran many many years ago.
From what I have been told it took over a year to make this carpet due to the details
Color dyes and details , it is one of a kind
I am very interested to be educated on the history , a value for insurance/ replacement
And an resale value price to a private collector or auction
I look forward to your response
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is there anyone available to help me with my question
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I posted this and nobody seems to be able to answer does this mean nobody knows anything about this item?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 10 months ago.

Hello, yes, I can do this rug. I would be happy to help you on this. Please allow me a day or two to research this and post my findings back here for you promptly. What are the measurements of this rug? Is there any written information on this rug? In these rugs, usually you will find initials of the maker. I will enlarge the photos and go over them slowly also to see if I find any initials. Thank you for bringing this one to my attention, I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for taking on the challenge, I am pretty sure this one is 5x 7 as my mother has 4 of them, as for markings to be honest I have never flipped them over or do I remember seeing them upside down. These carpets have been keep for over 40 years in my mothers living room in which was never just but more or less a room to show off her expensive collection of arts from all over the world. Although I will have her maid look.
But what I do know for sure is it was bought in the Middle East in the early 70's., fthese carpets are made of fine silk / silk pile , handmade from ( Qum) Iran, this piece is one of a kind , as well as the other 3 we own.
I know that Qum hand made rugs are known for their quality and are among the most expensive rugs in the world. I know each carpet tells a story and could take up to one year to weave as no two pieces are the same, and the rugs are made with natural dyes.
I know our carpets were not made with any synthetic dyes.
I also know Qom carpets are made using soft light colors as other town villagers used dark reds and blues. That's it but I am sure you can tell me much more then I already know.
I look forward to your response and how you value thus carpet for insurance/ replacement -
And resale-
Thank you

Thank you for the information I am researching this now and will post back my findings when completed by tomorrow. Thank you so much. It is a beautiful rug.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Tanya
Anything yet?

Hello I am still researching this rug and gathering a full report on the rug. I am also looking into the value charting on this rug for current rug value. The value has fallen over the last two years and my current charting is of summer of last year I have paid for the current charting and expect it before Thursday. I hope to have the full appraisal for you by Thursday and absolute current value for insurance and market also. Thank you for the note and I will keep you updated and post fully Thursday. This a rare rug as you know and want to do a thorough report for you. Thank you and thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Great thank you , should I drive you crazy yet with the other 3 or let you get through this one first.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Did you for get me?

Hello I am a so sorry no I have not forgot you. I have had the flu and been unable to stay online for any length of time I am online today and will be completing all my work. I am gathering my notes now to write the post for you this is a very good rug and will post here shortly my findings. I am sorry I have been so sick. I look forward to finishing today and helping you. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you , sorry you have been so ill. I hope you feeling better soon.

The rug began in the late 1800-early 1900s and was finished around 1910. The rug is done by hand and by the size 5' x 7' would have taken a family close to 3-4 years to produce. The hand knotting is done by 4 to 5 people and the design is produced on a graph by an experienced crafter. The design on this rug is the tree of life which meant " a direct path from earth to heaven". The blossoms on the tree mean " youth, spring, newly wed, and rebirth" The birds bring life and the deer bring blessings to the home it is laid in. As you know a great deal about these rugs I will just briefly go over the information here. The Qum rugs are the finest you can own. The square inch of hand knotted silk is highest quality and these were made to last and be handed down through families. The coloring is by plant dyes and the colors are vibrant. Overall this rug is in excellent condition. The tight knotting makes for a rug that can withstand vacuuming and wear with little damage. The fringe on this rug is missing in places and that is normal with little affect to the value as it is the age and design that stands out. These sometimes will have initials of the weavers however I have gone over the photos very carefully and did not find any initials. The value on this rug has been effected by the economy as the prices have fallen over the last 7 years. I would suggest to hold on to this rug until the economy picks up to sell as it is well worth waiting if you are planning to sell. Today this rug would be 12,000.00 to 15,000.00 if you can hold on to it and not sell when the economy is good this rug could see 20,000.00 plus easily. I have spoken to several rug specialists and this is an excellent rug to hold onto and see the market rise before thinking of selling. For insurance purposes in today's market the replacement value would be 25,000.00 to find a rug comparable to this one. These are done one of a kind and you will never find one exactly like this one. The condition on this is impeccable to the age and size. Today these hand knotted rugs are being produced in smaller sizers and not as elaborate in design also.

If you have specific questions please let me know as I did not want to go over the things you did know yet add the information you may not have known on this rug. I would be happy to help you with the other rugs. Lert me know if you wanted to add them here or in a new post. I am sorry for the delay I am well and will be on everyday. Thank you again. I am always happy to help you.