Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Trying to determine if the items I have are ***** *****,

Customer Question

Customer: trying to determine if the items I have are ***** *****, stainless stell or what
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: small round dish. has a flag with w&h in it with the letter I underneath it. under that the number 51429 A1 and under that walker&hall, Sheffield
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Antiques Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 10 months ago.

Good evening since Allen is not available I have been asked to answer you question. The mark W & H is for Walker and Hall. They produced silver plated hollowware. The A 1 is for the amount of silver on the surface. Do not over polish or use silver cleaners as the amount of silver is thin.

The business was established in Sheffield in 1845 by ***** *****. Becoming an assistant of Dr. ***** ***** who had conducted important experiments on electroplating Walker secured the royalty of electroplating for Sheffield. The business was joined by ***** ***** and became in 1853 Walker & Hall. The factory was at Howard Street, Sheffield, while showrooms were opened in 45 Holborn Viaduct, London. Branches were opened in Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Cardiff, Belfast, Hull, Bristol, Melbourne and Adelaide (Australia), Cape Town (South Africa). Walker & Hall was converted into a limited liability company in 1920 under the style Walker & Hall Ltd and combined in 1963 under the British Silverware Ltd with Mappin & Webb and Elkington & Co. Walker and Hall Sheffield were primarily Sheffield Makers, but items with Birmingham, London and Chester Assay Marks can also be found.

CHRONOLOGY:
Walker & Co, 1845-1848
Walker, Coulson & Hall, 1848-1853
Walker & Hall 1853-1920
Walker & Hall Ltd, 1920-the present
part of British Silverware Ltd, 1963-1971
a subsidiary of Mappin & Webb Ltd, a member of Sears Holdings Ltd since 1971