Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I found a chair that looks like it could be a Finn Juhl. It

Customer Question

I found a chair that looks like it could be a Finn Juhl. It was marked on the bottom but it has worn off & isn't legible. How can I tell if it is a Finn without it being marked?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** am a certified appraiser. I would be happy to help you. Can you post a phto of the underside of the chair for review please. I will post the basic information on confirming the maker also along with a value once my evaluation is complete. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure can! But like I said its worn off. It's easier to see in person but I will send the best shot I have.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's the whole underside
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
another shot of the mark.

Thank you for these photos. I have researched through hundreds of his chairs and can not find one exactly like yours.

http://www.finnjuhl.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Finn-Juhl-manual.pdf

I have found no concrete notes on what to look for to say without a doubt it is one of his chairs. I will opt out so another may help if they know. I will continue to look and if I find what I need I will post back here. Thank you and this does not cost you anything nor will you need to do anything more. Thank you

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Maybe I can help, from researching this chair, I found that the frame should be marked with a Branded Mark to the Frame, it would be burned into the wood where it would not come off unless the wood had been sanded down a lot.

Does it appear the frame of this chair has been sanded down?

Glenda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does. It looks like it has been reupholstered a few times. But there is a stamp there. I just don't know what it says. In the right light I believe I can make out a few letters. Getting that to show in a picture is just about impossible.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

What does it look like the letters are?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I can make out an E and N on the first line an R or an A and an E & L on the second line. I may be wrong. I can't really tell about the last line or how many more lines there are.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Each manufacturer that made Chairs for Finn Juhl branded their name on the chair.

Here is some information on companies that made his chair, do you think what you see could be any of these companies?

France and Daverkosen

These types of pieces produced by France and Søn are what Americans came to refer to generically in the 1950s as “Danish modern.” And they are almost indistinguishable from the knockoffs made by other manufacturers.

Juhl designed for the American company Baker Modern. Baker, beginning about 1950, was the first company to institute mass-market production of his designs.

Prior to that only the Danish cabinetmaker Niels Vodder made Juhl’s pieces. Some of the items Baker produced were American-made versions of those the Vodder firm crafted in Denmark, such as the “NV 45” and “NV 48” chairs and even Juhl’s most famous design, the 1949 “Chieftain” chair (more on that later).

Bovirke was the first Danish manufacturer to attempt large-scale production. The pieces by Bovirke, such as the “46” chairs have handmade features that are absent in the American items.

Niels Vodder. The two began their collaboration in the 1940s, showing Juhl’s work at Denmark’s Cabinetmaker’s Guild exhibitions.

Glenda